Monday 11 September 2017

Musings Of A Young Nigerian


Written by Sule Anthony

I believe in this country, Nigeria.
I believe in our people, in our culture and in our struggles.
I believe that that which binds us is greater than all which seek to tear us apart.

I believe that our collective passion for excellence far outweighs the mediocrity which dominates in our Government.

I believe that the strongholds of our Youth lie in politics, the classrooms, the fields, the factories and the incubation rooms that will birth the futures that we seek.

I believe my generation is not lazy.
I believe we are not evil.
I believe we do not just desire to carry guns or wield machetes or belong in societies and fraternities which are all alien to our true selves. We are high-energy Beings and when we find not the fields to dispense our energies, we do so on ourselves.

I believe every one of us owes a responsibility to this generation, this Youth.
First, family. Then our Churches.

I believe Churches should pay tax. Tax in cash? No; tax in responsibilities.

The tax of a good school.
The tax of a good community clinic.
The tax of good pipe-borne water,
Taxes worth just a minute percent of what they get, to better the communities where they are located.

I believe the future holds a lot for us. But I also know it holds calamity, genocide, rampage, segregation, unprecedented looting and avoidable deaths.

Will a Nation kill all of its youths?
But that's what it's doing when it devotes more to Security than to Education.

For youths today will demand excellence. They watch TVs. They have smart phones. They know what's obtainable out there and their schools don't look like it can give it to them.
They step out and try to make a way for themselves.
And then...

My heart bleeds. I am concerned.
This is a stream of consciousness; a ramble. And in the end, a tossing of a pebble in an ocean.
The ripple impact is next to none, but there will be a ripple- however small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Popular Posts